Sunday, December 14, 2014

Beijing....Day One

Beijing…Day One

We got to our hotel Saturday night around 10pm and to sleep around midnight.  We were wide eyed at 4:30am so we got up, got ready, and went down to eat breakfast….When I say “breakfast”, I mean Chinese style breakfast!  Of course in Beijing, they have western breakfast choices, but they also have food you would eat for lunch or supper. Here is the conversation (maybe not verbatim ) that occured between Phoebe and me when I opened dishes with fried rice, noodles, veggies, baked beans…. (non traditional American breakfast food)…..
Me: “Do you want veggies, rice, or noodles?”
Phoebe:  “For breakfast????” 
Me: “Would you rather have American food?”
Phoebe: “Yes!” 
That was from the child that 2 ½ years ago ate shrimp and pig knuckles for breakfast!  Brandon and I got a good chuckle out of that conversation!

After breakfast, we checked out of the hotel, loaded in the van and went to one of my most favorite places on earth….Chinese Church!  There is something special about that place.  We go to the English service.  As you can see, there was a band and they were great.  The worship leader seemed to glow, but it was probably just my perception.  2 ½ years ago, we spent Easter Sunday in China at this church, and now to be here at Christmas singing “Joy to the World”!!!  I was breathless, awestruck, and burdened all at the same time.  I have celebrated my Savior’s birth and resurrection in a country where my brothers and sisters are persecuted for their faith.  I have lifted my praise and my hands, while at the same time in the same country, people are wishing they could shout their undying love to their Creator, their Savior.  How we take for granted our freedom in the US.  One of the members was sharing that he had just returned from a minority people group.  He climbed mountains to reach them…..I don’t even walk across the street.  Can you say convicted!  Then came the message (worship and the 5 minute speaker was a sermon in itself)….. It was on Judges.  He spoke about how after Joshua died, a generation arose that had not experienced warfare.   God allowed them to be invaded to test them, to see how they would respond, to see if they would trust Him and “to teach warfare to those descendants who had no previous battle experience,” Judges 3:2.   “Warfare”…..I thought on that word.  Do we teach our children warfare?  Do we teach them to put on the Armor of God and stand and fight?  Do we love them enough to leave a legacy where they can stand in the gap for others?  Or, are we leaving a legacy of “easy life Christianity”?  The Bible clearly tells us how to live, yet we result back to what fits in our cushy, American lifestyle.  Man…..my toes were really black and blue this morning when I left church.




.
 After church, we went to a Jade market.  It was beautiful but quite expensive, so we left empty handedJ  We had a tasty little lunch then headed off to one of the 7 Wonders of the World, The Great Wall.  I did not make it as far as Phoebe and Brandon (I think she would follow him to the end of the earth!).  It was just as beautiful as it has been the last 2 times, but knowing how many lives were lost and ruined in order for it to be built, breaks my heart. Next, we loaded back in the van and headed off to the airport.  Since we were 4 hours early, we found a café and had coffee and Jasmine tea.  Phoebe and Brandon played Skip Bo while I typed away. 
                                        Jade boat took 3 years to complete!








We finally loaded our plane for Hefei...tired and hungry at 7pm.  We arrived in Hefei (after a very turbulent flight which left us with a not so happy child) at 9:30pm where we were met by JANE!!!!!  Yay!!!  This woman is wonderful.  She has helped the Huainan children for years.  She recognized Phoebe and Phoebe remembered her. They chatted and chatted all the way to the hotel.  She has pics of the girls when they were little that she is going to email me!!!  I love having pieces of their pasts.  OH...for those of you that don't know Jane, she is in the movie "Somewhere In-between".  Fantastic documentary.  She truly loves these kids.  She practically had me in tears.  She gave us the plan for tomorrow and helped us check in.  We will see her at 9am!!!  She will take us to CCCWA to get Lyric!!!!!!!!!! Next, we had supper at our favorite noodle shop at 11:30pm!!!  4 whole bucks for all three of us and I mastered chop sticks!!! (not really).  We finished up and came back to the room to get ready for Lyric's Gotcha Day!!!  I love that name.  Now that I've "Gotcha, I'll never let you go!!!!  Love Love Love!  

OH.....Phoebe talked to "China Momma" this morning.  China Momma told her that Lyric is all excited and running around saying she gets a family on Monday!!!!!! Bless that little precious heart!  Love that child so much already!  

I know many of you are praying for Eden.  She is doing great.  She is with Mimmi and Papa this weekend.  Next week she will stay with her NeNe.  Please continue to pray for her.

I have 2 more prayer requests.
My precious mother, Cynthia has been very sick and when we left Friday, she was in the hospital.  Pray for healing and a peace for her and James.

Also, my dear friend Jan.  I don't know much, but I saw where she is in the hospital.  She has been a prayer warrior for my little Eden and my family.  I am grateful to her and for her.  Pray for healing and strength and a peace for her and her husband that can only come from our Creator.

Well it is now almost 1am and I still have to get myself ready for tomorrow! 
Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment