Sunday, December 28, 2014

Medicals...YUCK!

I know I have not posted in a couple of days.  We are doing great other than learning that there are rules and boundaries and that you must listen and obey.  We have been down this road before so we are good!

We are now in Guangzhou!!!  Room???...small and getting smaller by the hour!  Weather????...rainy and chilly which is why the room is getting smaller by the hour (minute).  Food???....OH MY STARS!!!!  There is a fantastic little (little) noodle shop about 2 blocks away that is cheap and yummy.  We all love it!

Let's see? We got here late Christmas night.  First thing on Friday, we headed out to the medical appointment.  I am not going to get started on how I feel about this...I will say that I think it is absolutely absurd that our country requires my children that will enter the US as citizens to have lab work and shots before I can bring them home!!!  I may fall off that soap box and hit my head so that is all I will say.  Anyway....medicals were awful but they made it.  Lyric got mad cause I took Tilly to the bathroom so she had to get her blood drawn first!  It made her sooo mad that she told Tilly she hoped she would get 50 shots.  That hurt Tilly's feelings and she got mad!  They are like boys in the since that in 5 minutes they are laughing and talking...no grudges! :)  Tilly got 4 shots and Lyric got 3.  It was heart breaking and by the time it was over, there were more tears and I was shaking like a leaf!  B had wanted me to take pics throughout the process, but they were scared and I was back and forth, not understanding what was being said and it was all overwhelming.  I have done this twice before, but this was a little different.  Oh...the nurse and the guide were quite surprised that my girls are uneducated.  They thought it would come as a surprise.  When it did not and I told them that I knew it beforehand and that I would homeschool them to help them gain as much of an education as possible, they were left with a sense of gratitude...maybe?  I guess they don't know the wonderful folks that I know that adopt older girls with little to no education or severe special needs.  All I have done is add to my family.  Others out there are doing some amazing things.

Back to the medicals.  Instead of a skin TB test that takes 48 hours for results, the girls got blood drawn and the results were in yesterday morning.  Both girls are great!!!! No chest X-Rays for us!!!!!  We have our consulate appointment on Monday morning, then we head out to Hong Kong Tuesday night and home sweet USA on Wednesday!!!!  We leave HK at 12pm on Wednesday...travel for 20 something hours and get home 7:15pm on Wednesday!  I keep trying to explain that concept to Phoebe, but she can't wrap her mind around it!

Not many pics because we have not done much in the last few days due to the crabby weather.  We are going shopping for the girls' chinese dresses today!  Monday is the consulate appointment and city tour with another AWAA family.  Maybe we will have some more good pics over the next few days!

                                                 Peek-a-boo on the van ride to the airport


                                          Traditional pick with guide.  Her name is Sherri.


For Life Ministries is a ministry back 
home we are involved with as a family.  
What would you do for the life of a child?

Know One, Love One, Serve One...
3 ways to get involved with For Life Ministries!

                                         Ok...This is our Sunday.  We went for a walk in the
                                                  park and found an amusement park.
                     The girls had fun, but neither newbie is a fit for Phoebe and her thrill seeking,
                                                           roller coaster riding self!





1 comment:

  1. My heart is with you on those medicals. Since it takes weeks for immunity to kick in after being vaccinated, I find it cruel and ridiculous that the US requires what they do. Our poor children having to go through that. My nearly 14 yr. old daughter was so terrified, she curled up in a ball on the floor of the exam room and made sounds like a wounded animal. My first daughter, age 7, but the size of a 4 year old, only needed the TB test, but it took three of us to hold her down for it. I swear the nurse helping me hold her down will be traumatized for life after going through that.

    You are made of strong stuff! You're doing GREAT! I'm looking forward to following your blog. I, too, am dealing with very uneducated older girls. It's not easy by any means, and some days I'm full of despair for my girls, but when I look back and see how far they've come, I know we're doing well.

    Happy New Year and many blessings!

    ReplyDelete